A friend posted this blog about a woman going hands free, I read it, thought it was nice, pushed it to the back of my mind. Then I started to notice how much I really do use my phone. How it's constantly with me, always in my back pocket, it's my security blanket. I always make sure I have it, Garrett - check, Payton - check, phone - check. You get the picture. I also noticed that my kids were acting up a lot when I was using it. And then my husband started mentioning it. I realized I had a problem. So, I'm going hands free. Sadly, not all the time. I do help Matt with the business so I can't just ignore it, but I'm making a concentrated habit to put it aside. If I'm playing with the kids, I leave it in my pocket, or on the counter. I don't glance at it every time I get a text, or if I do, I check to see if it's Matt, if it isn't, I put it away, everyone else can wait. He has his own ring tone, so unless he calls, I tend to let it go to VM and I'll call people back later. But, honestly, he's about the only person who ever does call. I just text, a lot. I'm home, alone, all day, with one to 2 kids, it's not a lot, but sometimes I'd like to talk to someone who doesn't growl like a dinosaur or just repeat everything I say. And, I'm embarrassed to say, the first few days were really hard! Harder then I ever expected. Harder then I wanted to admit. But, it's been about a week now, and I don't miss it as much. I do text like crazy before they wake up, while they are napping (or having quiet time), and after they go to bed. So, maybe I'm not "cured", but I do feel like I'm spending more quality time with the kiddos and I've seen some much better behavior, esp from Garrett. Even Matt has commented on it, in a good way. And, in the evenings, after the kids go to bed, I do put it away too. He does go to bed before me, so that's when I get it back out again. Some days are better then others, sad, isn't it?!?!
But, I challenge you, can you go totally hands free?!?!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment