Is there anything as exciting to a little kid as kindergarten is?!?! I'm not sure there is!!
Tuesday I had parent orientation at the school. This was just for kindergarten parents, I guess they figure we have the most questions, lol. It was just for parents and I could tell Matt wasn't too thrilled about going, so I let him off the hook. It was short and sweet, we were there an hour, but it flew by. The 3 kindergarten teachers and the principal talked us through everything we can expect. Most of it was not a surprise, except that nap/rest time has been eliminated. I know Garrett doesn't nap often but I think that rest time would help him, he'll just have to adjust. The other thing that I wasn't expecting is that I have to pack a snack for him everyday. Just one more thing to add to my list!
Garrett's teacher is Mrs. Sowell, she seems very nice, like the perfect kindergarten teacher, hugging people, laughing, lots of ideas, I think Garrett will love her.
Thursday night was meet the teacher, so we all headed up to the school together. I forgot it was for the whole school so we were all taken back by the number of cars there, but the main crowd died down shortly after we got there, so it wasn't bad at all. Just as I expected, as soon as Mrs. Sowell saw Garrett she hugged him. He wasn't sure what to do or think and immediately asked if we could leave, but after I got him to relax a bit, he started noticing the room has a super hero theme and that there were books, and toys, and a whole bucket of dinosaurs. He wanted to show Matt the library, he's super excited about checking new books out and the first thing he asked the librarian was if they had dinosaur books. The cafeteria freaked him out a bit too. I promised him I'd pack his lunch as long as he wanted, and if he decided he wanted to buy his lunch to just let me know and I'd make sure Mrs. Sowell helped him out. I know all this is new and kind of scary to him, and I want him to know she's there to help him in any way she can.
I'll be dropping him off early, so we talked about that too, and after school he'll ride the bus to Powersports. He seems excited about that, but I'm not sure it's sunk in that he won't be going to see Ms Mimi or even Payton, that he'll be where the big kids are. I think he'll be fine with all of it by the end of the first week. He's already told me he's going to be shy his first day. I told him that's ok, most of the kids probably will be too.
I still can't believe he's starting Kindergarten in just a couple of days!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment