Friday, December 9, 2011

Crazy Day

After much discussion back and forth, yesterday afternoon, Matt & I decided that we really had no choice but to file for bankruptcy.  It was an extremely tough situation and not an easy decision at all.  But, oddly, after the decision was made I think we both felt a huge sigh of relief.  Life is not going to be easy, on the contrary.  Some people file bankruptcy because things got out of hand and they ran up too much credit card debt, and I know this happens for any number of reasons; loss of job, pay cut, relocation, or just living beyond your means.  We, on the other hand, are in jeopardy of losing our "property" meaning our house and our cars.  Our problem does include some CC debt, but it's old debt, nothing we've accrued recently (we cut up all our credit cards 2 years ago January).  We have to do a rush filing so my car does not get repossessed, so that meant I had today to get everything to the lawyer, plus the usual Friday craziness of picking up checks and depositing them on top of payroll and normal household stuff.  Thankfully, I have a friend who is a realtor and she was more then happy to allow me to use their high volume fax and entertain Payton while I took care of stuff.  Unfortunately, on the first go around everything did not fax, so we made 2 trips back to her office.  Payton was pretty much right at home by the 3rd trip up there and was just running around like it was home.  Unfortunately Payton took 2 very short naps in the car and exercised her new found terrible two rights and freaked out, arched her back and screamed every time I put her in the car today.  On top of going to fax things 3 times, I've been to 3 different builders offices and the bank 3 times.  Now, I am fairly certain the lawyer has everything he needs and Payton has decided she does not want to nap and is in her bed screaming.  I know she's just beyond tired and has had almost no play time today, which isn't her fault, but I really need her to sleep a bit so I can have some downtime.  Garrett thankfully is cooperating and doing quiet time in his room.

But, back to the bankruptcy, the reason it won't get much easier for us, is we have to get caught up on the back payments on the house and keep up with new, adjusted car payments.  The CC debt we did have will go away, but none of our household bills will change.  So, it's still of extreme importance that I get the job I applied for almost 2 months ago, otherwise we may still face having to sell my car and or the house.  All of these tough things to deal with plus Christmas on top of it.  Couldn't be worse timing.  In reality, we probably should have filed for bankruptcy a year or even 2 years ago, we'd probably be a lot more ahead today, but we, as most people, feel bankruptcy is a terrible thing and we kept hoping we could get back on track.

As I promised, I will blog about this as we go.  Who knows, maybe it'll help someone else, because honestly, I wish I had someone to talk to who had been down this road before.  It's a lonely road right now....

No comments:

Post a Comment