Since we don't have any health insurance I bit the bullet last week and applied for Chips for the kids, this is a state aided insurance program for children. Based on the conversation I had we did qualify, but because we have only been self employed for one year, it's not going to be easy to get approved. It'll take about 45 days for that process, and no it was not an easy decision, I actually got teary as I faxed the paperwork in. There's just something so sad about the term "state aid", but as a lot of people reminded me, we are the reason for state aid. We aren't looking to take advantage, we don't plan on being on it forever, we have hit a slump and it terrifies me not having any insurance for my kids. Both kids need well visits, Garrett needs his vision checked again and a dental apt. Plus, with Payton getting the UTI and needing x rays, it was time to do something and conventional health insurance is just not an option, we just cannot afford it!
Anyways, I didn't want Payton getting too far off her shot schedule because I know that can mess things up down the line, so I decided to go to the health department,. I checked into it, and it's $5 per visit per child, no matter how many shots they need. I figured P needed only one, but $5 is still cheaper then the $150 I'd pay at her ped's office for her well visit and a shot. Turns out she doesn't need any :-) She had fun playing in the lobby of the health department while the girl at the desk and I tried to sort through her records, half were in the database made for this reason and then we found the rest on her Dr's shot records. Turns out she is set until she turns 4. Garrett's weren't complete in the Immtrack system either, so when we got home I called our ped's office and it looks like he's set until he's 11! So, as soon as we can either afford it or get insurance I'll take them for their well visits, but I have no concerns about either one, so I feel like waiting another month isn't going to be too detrimental to their health. Funny how your prospective on Dr's appts changes when you have to pay cash for everything!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment