Payton was terribly whiny yesterday morning, since we were headed to the health department for shots (at least I thought she was going to get shots), I had given her some Motrin. She was fine the rest of the morning, even ate a really good lunch. But, I think the Motrin was masking an underlying issue. When I woke her from her nap, 3 hours after I laid her down, I noticed she wasn't really sleeping but was just laying there, and she was really red, but not sweating. When I picked her up she was on fire. Her room was pretty warm so I thought maybe she had just gotten hot napping, but again she wasn't sweating which was weird to me. I took her pants off and Matt noticed she started shivering. It took me a few tries to find a working thermometer, but when I did, it said her temp was 100.4, so def not terribly high, but she was squirming like crazy and didn't want her temp taken, so I wasn't sure how good of a reading that was. Well, she refused to eat any dinner and just kept doing this whine/crying sound. Matt sat with her on the couch and she was just really hot to the touch and very lethargic. When Garrett asked if she wanted to go outside (her favorite thing ever) and she said no, we knew something was def up. It was about 6:30 and I knew urgent care was open until 8, so I decided I might as well take her in.
There was one other little boy waiting to be seen, so we didn't wait very long at all. Sadly, now that we've been there 3 times in a month, the staff is getting to know us. The nurse took her temp and it was 102.4. I heard the nurse relay this to the Dr in the hall as he headed in to the other exam room, next thing I knew the nurse came in with some Motrin, I've never had a Dr's office give either of my kids meds, so I was surprised by that. When the Dr came in, Payton started crying and clinging to me, but he managed to look in her ears and he started asking me more questions and I thought great, it's not an ear infection, what then?!?! But, then he looked in her throat, and said, ah there it is. She has strep. He took a swab and confirmed it was bacterial and we headed home with some antibiotics. He did say she'd get worse before she got better and he wasn't kidding, her cough is just horrible today, but he did say she could go to school tomorrow, we'll see. I'm half tempted to keep her home, but next week is spring break, so 2 weeks off doesn't appeal to me as much, but I won't send her if she's feeling crappy, I'm not that kind of mom!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment