Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Potty Training, day one

I'll admit it, I'm in denial and very gun shy about potty training Payton.  Garrett was a nightmare, took 3 tries and he wasn't potty trained until 2 weeks before Payton was born (he was 3), and didn't poop in the potty regularly until well past 4.  A NIGHTMARE!  But, lately, Payton has been more and more verbal about her bodily functions and all weekend, every time she peed or pooped, she immediately brought us a clean diaper to change her.  So Sunday night I did a bit of email/text research and decided to just go for it.  It's Spring Break, so both kids would be home all week and we had no plans.  Well, by noon, I was thinking I was all wrong!
When Garrett got up I asked if he would help me, he was pretty excited, so when Payton woke up, we made a big deal about it all, on went the panties and we sat on the portable potty, she was very excited, then proceeded to follow me into the office and peed on the floor, lol.  But, I knew there would be lots of accidents, I just cleaned it up, put fresh panties on and kept talking it up.  By nap time we were 0 for 4, she'd say she had to go, sit for exactly 1/10 of a second, then jump up and run off and then pee.  But, as the pee was running down her leg, she's shriek pee pee, so I took a small victory in the fact that she at least recognized what she was doing.  I did put a diaper on at nap time, I am not even remotely assuming she's ready for that, lol!  She woke up after a very short nap, quite hysterical, but dry.  Then the afternoon proceeded with peeing literally every 5 minutes on the potty and peeing about a drop.  I could not figure out how to get her to sit long enough to empty her bladder.We read books, we sang songs, we watched Elmo.  But every single time, as soon as the pee would start to come out she would get so excited she'd jump up to show us.  I finally had Garrett sit on the little potty and show her that you sit for a while and then we looked and saw how much pee there was, and I think she finally got it!  She finally sat and peed a bunch and then lasted at least 30 minutes before telling me she had to go again.  So, in the afternoon we had one accident, but she was literally peeing every 5 minutes!  No poops all day, so I was a bit worried about constipation, but I was hopeful she'd poop early in the morning while still wearing her diaper.
So, we'll see how day two goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment