Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Payton's arm

On Saturday, we took a day trip to Austin to go measure a winery storefront that Matt is installing granite in at a place called The Oasis Mall.  On our way, we stopped at this Kolache place in Caldwell to get some kolaches and doughnuts for the kids.  Inside, I picked Payton up kind of funny, we were playing around and I picked her up by her hands instead of under her arms.  She cried out, so I immediately let her go, she didn't seem too upset so we didn't think much more about it.  When we were eating lunch, she was just whining really badly, but she also has a cold, so we didn't give it to much thought.  While Matt took the measurements he needed the kids and I wondered around and I noticed that she wasn't using her arm to pull up or touch anything.  I mentioned it to Matt but he didn't think it was much to worry about.  Then we drove 2.5 hours home.  At dinner we noticed it again and when she was playing we really noticed that her arm was just hanging limply at her side.  We gave her some Motrin and by bedtime she was using it a very tiny bit.  Sunday we observed her closely and noticed she was barely using it at all and upon closer inspection noticed it was her elbow, not her shoulder.  We decided it def wasn't broken in any way and didn't seem dislocated, we thought it might just be a sprain, but on Monday when she still wasn't using it and now would say it hurt, we decided I should take her in to have it looked at.  The ped was $104 just for an exam and they do not do xrays in the office, but St. Joe urgent care was $50 and they do xrays on sight, for $20 each.  I was pleased with them when P had that UTI, so I thought I'd go back over there.  It was a bit more of a wait and when P got in the exam room and saw the Dr, who just so happened to be the same one that gave her the shots, she freaked!  The Dr couldn't tell if she was screaming because her arm hurt or because of her, so she ended up ordering xrays for her.  By this time I had decided this was overkill, but since the Dr really couldn't get a good look, I had no choice.  Of course, the xray machine was on the fritz so it took forever to get the pictures down.  I could tell the nurse was really frustrated with the machine and taking pictures of a 2year olds sore arm was not that easy!  But, it was worth it, in the end it was determined that it was just a sprain and while we were there the Dr went ahead and checked out her cold symptoms and assured me it was nothing more then a virus.  If course, today she's using it like it was never hurt in the first place!  I could have waited one more day and saved myself $90!!  She is my more active, dare devil child though, so I am not at all suprised that she's the first one of my kids to need xrays!

No comments:

Post a Comment