Sunday, May 6, 2012

Dentist

So, after months of trying, I finally got the kids approved and their insurance choices selected.  It all went into effect on May 1, once I knew this, I started calling and making Dr's apts for the kids.  For Garrett I needed a dentist apt, an eye Dr apt and a well check up, Payton just needed a well check up.  The dentist won for quickest apt, they got my in May 2, the eye Dr is June 6 and the well visits are June 13 and June 19.

Garrett's regular dentist didn't take his new insurance, so we tried out a new office, Element Dental.  I know someone who works there, so I figured it couldn't be all bad.  And it wasn't.  The office staff was all very nice, but every one was very young, or maybe I'm just getting old!!  I was a bit nervous when we first arrive, our apt was at 3, and there were 7 kids waiting in the waiting room when we got there, but we got called back a little after 3, so not bad at all.  It is not advertised as a pediatric office, but all I saw in there were kids.  The hygienist was great, she was super nice and it was obvious she had worked with kids before.  I thought the Dentist was the hygienist, she was SO young!  But, she was also really, really nice.  Garrett did have a cavity, I knew this though, he had the starts of one last year but we just could never afford to get it fixed :-(  She fixed the cavity and sealed a couple other molars, just to be safe.  Garrett did great, he didn't seem to mind anything, the gloves were grape flavored and the nitrous was bubble gum scented.  The thing he cried over?  The fluoride treatment.  The hygienist said it really does taste horrible, and Garrett wouldn't swallow for a long time.  At that one appointment we used up almost all his benefits, I have enough left for one cleaning, so as long as he doesn't need any more fillings this year, we're set. 

In total, the visit cost me $3, without insurance it would have been close to $800!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment