Yes, this week, it's been HOT! Everyday has been over 105, most days have been 106 or 107, and our a/c started to die. Which made the house unbearably hot! I took it for a few days, but 3 days of sitting in the 83-85 degrees and I couldn't take it, plus, the a/c was running NON-STOP, so I could imagine what my already high electric bill was going to be. We paid $387 for July, which is the highest we've paid since living here. And, I keep the temperature set at 78, so it's not like I'm sitting around in 68 degree coolness or anything. Last night was just the breaking point, it was 85 when we put the kids to bed, I don't have a clue how either of them fell asleep, especially, Payton, her room is by far the hottest in the house. At 2:30am, we turned the a/c off since it had been running for 12 hours straight and the house was still only 83. So, this morning, I put the word out, asked if anyone had any a/c contacts and LW came through! We used to have a contact but I think he moved. I was pretty sure we only needed freon, but the first place I called wanted $70 and hr, with a 1 hr minimum, and $18.50 per pound of freon and they couldn't give me any idea of how much freon I'd need. Oh, and they couldn't be here until Monday, maybe late Friday. Eeck, an entire weekend of those temps, I couldn't deal with it. The second place no one answered. Then LW called, he has a friend who owns an a/c biz, I called and he said he'd be over in a few hours, could I hang on that long? Seriously, he was that concerned! I said, yes, I can hold on that long. He was very nice, cleaned off the coils and added freon. I was inside with Payton and I kid you not, I could tell when he added the freon, the air coming out of the vents became SO much cooler! He explained that there is a leak, and depending on where it is, he might be able to easily fix it. I suggested we get together again, in the fall, when he isn't so busy and see what we need to do. He said, sure a new unit would be more efficient and probably save us some money on our electric bill, but they are also pretty darn expensive, so maybe just having a part replaced might save us this headache from happening every year. I liked that he didn't just try to sell us a whole new unit.
so, the kids are napping, G even asked for a blanket, lol. I think we will all sleep better tonight. I've adjusted the temp to 81, it is 105 outside, but even 81 feels fantastic compared to the 85 I woke up too!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment