Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Garrett - baking & tantrums




Garrett & I have our good and our bad days. We made banana bread last Thursday together, and that was a lot of fun, he did not like the actual baked bread, but loved the batter. I have some pictures and as soon as I can figure out how to get them to download to this blog, I'll add them in. Matt made some brownies on Sunday night and once again, G had more fun licking the spoon then eating the actual brownie, which i think is very funny.

Yesterday was miserably hot outside, so i decided to head to the mall play area to burn some energy. It's not real large, but I figured it was still better then sitting at the park, outside, and melting! He had fun, they had these 4 electronic toys, 2 cars, an airplane, and an ice cream truck. They are the kind that you put some quarters in and the kids can ride them. He preferred these over the play area and he was the only kid in and out of them, so i think he was in kid heaven. Well, i told him they were broke and he completely accepted that, he just pushed buttons and pulled levers. Well, of course at like 10:30, my stomach starts growling and since we were by the food court, i was dying, so i convinced him to get some food with me, and just as we sat down to eat, a mother put money in the airplane! I could have killed her. G shot out of his chair and yelled my turn! Scared the baby on the airplane, of course! Well, i made him wait until i finished eating lunch, then i said, ok, one ride, that's it, he had pooped, so we had to go. He agreed......until it ended! Then he had a fit. I ended up carrying him, crying, thankfully, not screaming, all the way to the car, the entire ride him he kept repeating "my car" over and over again, until i thought i was going to lose my mind, just in this whiny voice, so i told him, once more and you go to time out as soon as we get home. I thought it worked, he was quiet for oh, 5 seconds! then he started up again. I was losing my mind by the time we got home, so as soon as i parked the car, i got him out and put him in his room, shut the door and went back out to empty the car. He was NOT happy. He kicked and screamed, and when i went to the door to ask if he was ready for momma to come in, he said no! I said fine and left him a little longer. When i went back he said he was sorry. But, he refused to eat any lunch, said he just wanted milk, so i gave him a big cup and after he drank it, took him to bed. When i peaked in on him 15 minutes later, he was sound asleep and had put his frog "to bed", the frog was laying on his pillow, face down, with the blanket on it, so cute! When he woke up, 3 hours later, he as all hugs and kisses, and i love you momma!!

Here's the thing though, why does discipline feel like I"m the one in trouble too? I made the decision to leave, so I had to deal with the crying and the whining, then since he was not behaving, he didn't get to watch Diego in the car, so I had to listen to the whining and the crying all the way home, then when he was in time out, I had to listen to him screaming and kicking. How is this the right thing to do? Wouldn't it just have been easier to stay longer, or turn on the tv, etc?!?! I know the right thing to do, but why is it so hard!

No comments:

Post a Comment