Now that the kids actually have insurance, I finally got them scheduled for their well visits, it took quite some time to get them in thought, so they were almost 2.5 & 5.5, but I knew neither one needed shots and I had no major concerns, so I was ok about waiting until the insurance had kicked in.
Garrett's was 2 weeks ago, and his apt went fine. The nurse checked his hearing and much to our surprise, he can hear just fine, lol! Obviously he'll need to follow up with the eye Dr, but everything was just great. Our only "concern" is that he still wears a diaper to sleep in. The Dr talked to me about 3 different options, 1)an alarm system-when he wets the bed, the alarm goes off and wakes him and everyone else in the house. I didn't love this idea, although it might have worked to night train Payton too! 2)a hormone pill-this is mostly for one time uses, like a sleep over where he might be embarrassed about having to wear a diaper but it doesn't solve any problem long term, plus the body can adjust to the dosage, so you have to keep upping the dose over time. 3)A drug called Amytriptiline- this one is an anti depressant, but for some reason helps stop them from wetting the bed. It's biggest side effect is drowsiness, but since you give it at bedtime, that won't be an issue. She suggested we try this for 6 months, it takes a while to build up in the system and he'll need to be weaned off of it. None of these options sound very good to me, I'm going to do more research before we decide on anything. I have noticed G complaining about the diaper in the mornings and he has lied a few times and said he's been dry and then I find the wet diaper somewhere, so I can tell it is becoming somewhat of an issue for him. The Dr said that's the major motivator behind trying meds. If the kid doesn't care, then you let it go, but when it starts to bother them, it's time to consider other options.
Payton's was this past Wednesday and she did great too, no issues at all. At her 18 month checkup there was a bit of a concern about her speech since she was barely talking at all, but this time she was above average, so no more concerns there. The Dr was also impressed that she was already potty trained, she's by far not the youngest, but she's a bit younger then most. His only recommendation is to get her teeth checked out by a dentist, it's recommended at 1 now, so we're a bit behind, but who wants to take their one year old to the dentist?!?!
Next up, Garrett's eye's and I guess a dentist apt for Payton!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment