I have a friend, Diane, who started working or a dentist back in September or so, Dr. Lasall. She mentioned in passing one day that they may be hiring, since 2 girls in their office were pregnant, well, about 3 weeks ago, I stopped by to drop off my resume and just meet the office manager, turns out she liked me :-) Last Sunday, the Dr called (the office manager is his wife) and we set up an interview for Monday. On Monday, they both seemed to like me, but since I had no medical experience, they suggested I come in Wednesday for what they called a "working interview", a chance for me to see if it was something I'd like to do and for them to see if they felt I'd fit in with their office staff. Both kids have school on Wed, so I thought that would work perfect. Wednesday went very well, it is different from what I've done before, but also very similar, there's customer service in greeting the patients and answering the phones, but it's different because I don't know any of the codes used in medical terminology, but all 3 girls in the office assured me, I'd pick up on it pretty fast. So, after my few hours on Wed, we all agreed, I'd start full time......the very next day! I had to scramble to get Garrett moved to full time care and Payton signed up for full time care at Powersports, so sadly, Wed was her last day with the teachers at her old school, she really didn't understand that she was saying bye for good.
Thursday was a good day. I woke up at 6, had the kids up at 6:45 and we were out the door by 7:15, wearing scrubs helps a LOT! I even managed to get both kids hair combed, and styled, lunches packed, I even did the dishes and got dinner in the crockpot! The kids were the first ones there at 7:30 and I was the first to work at 7:45. We had a long lunch, 1.5 hours, so on my lunch break, I ran to 2 banks and picked up a check from a customer for Matt. The good thing about this job is it's 8-2 everyday, except for every other week where we work 8-5, mon, tues, and thurs. It's nice because I'll still be able to help Matt out but bad because it's not a full 80 hour paycheck. But, it will include paid benefits for me, and we'll just pay the difference for the family and of course, dental care is free :-) Unfortunately, they were the last kids piked up, but that will only happen 3 days a week, every other week, the rest of the time I can be there earlier, but I'll wait until after Payton's nap, so I can help Matt or get errands done.
The kids did great at school, Garrett was thrilled to be the big brother and was happy to help out with Payton. His day wasn't much different, just longer. Payton's was a lot different, new teachers, new friends, new school and a much longer day, but going up there so much to pick up Garrett I think helped the transition a lot. Her teacher sent home a note saying she did great. She did not eat a very good lunch and refused to nap, both of which are very unusual for her, but we all agreed she was just so excited and over stimulated. Hopefully next week goes much smoother for her. Payton is easily a 2-3 hour napper, so no nap was hard on her! She was in bed at 7, and probably would have gone to bed at 6:30! The hard part for me, is I'll never really see her teacher. Her teacher is Ms Devan, and she works 9-2, before and after that she'll be with Garrett's teacher, Ms Mimi. I trust ms Mimi fully, she's had Garrett for 2 years, and I got a nice report from her about Payton's day, but it's hard not actually seeing her teacher. I forgot to tell them she naps with a diaper, so it may be good she never did fall asleep! She stays dry a lot, but who wants to take that chance!
The job itself is going to be good. The pay starts out pretty low, but he assured me he is very generous with his raises and once I start learning things he'll give me a raise. Everyone in the office backed this up, so I am hoping I catch on fast so I can get out of their training pay! The pay I listed he said was more then reasonable and maybe even a bit low. So, while I won't be back to what I was making at Wells Fargo, I will be bringing home a paycheck, and it will feel like a raise when Garrett starts school in the fall. I didn't want to turn it down, everything seemed so right, it all just fell into place, unlike any other job offer I've had this was a lower pay then many, but felt like it could really be something I'd enjoy. They seem to set it up to be a career, not just a job. There's also a 401k, which I feel is unheard of in a small office. Not sure I see myself being a receptionist in a dental office for the next 10 or 20 years, but he said he doesn't either, he sees me taking over as office manager or being a dental assistant or even a position they haven't thought of yet.
For now, I'm just trying to get back into the groove of working. Last time I had to be to an office on time, I only had one child, so this is a bit different, but not too bad. And I'm very excited about the future possibilities!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment