Thursday, April 12, 2012
Back to work
I've been back to work for a week, it's been an interesting week. Thursday I worked 8-5, but we had 1.5 hours for lunch, so I came home, ate lunch, ran to 2 banks and picked up a check from a customer, so yes, I can work in an office and help Matt. Friday I was off, since it was Good Friday and the daycare was closed, they told me not to worry about coming in sine it was such a short notice for me to start. So this week was my first official week of work. This week we work 8-2, but we don't take a lunch. I've had to get very organized very fast. I drop the kids off right at 7:30, then I fly over to work, they want us there at 7:45, but most days I arrive at 7:50 and I'm the first one there, so there's obviously some flexibility there. But, the days are long. I'm not used to not eating and drinking when I want. We can go in the break room and grab a snack whenever we want, as long as there aren't patients waiting. Some days this is fine, some days it's very busy and it's harder to find the time to snack. But, after work, I help Matt. I run errands, I send invoices, I collect checks, I run to the bank, etc. Because Payton lays down at school right about 2:15, it's too hard for me to get there before she's asleep and since I'm paying until 5:30 whether I get them or not, most days I'll leave them there. Garrett gets to play and Payton can nap. But, today, today was rough, she's not getting her normal 2.5-3 hour nap, so that girl is tired at night. This morning when I got her up, she cried, when I put her in the car, she cried, when we got to school she cried, and when I left her, she cried. It almost broke my heart. She has gymnastics on Thursday, so Stef sent me a text and said she was in a mismatched outfit, which means she had an accident and had an accident during gymnastics, and she clung to Stefani and didn't want to go back to her room. I decided I was going to race over there and bring her home so she could nap at home, in her own bed. She was SO excited to see me!! And boy did she sleep! I woke her at the 3 hour mark and by 7:30 she was asking to go to bed. Of course, as soon as she's in bed, I have to make lunches for the next day and repack her backpack, and make sure Garrett has all his stuff and tonight I folded laundry, as well as ran to Target for diapers and then made invoices for Matt. Am I doing anything any other working mother does? I'm just saying, it's a lot. I did get my first paycheck today, it wasn't much, but it felt good to be able to contribute to the household bills. I know there's an adjustment period for all of us and I"m so grateful that we do work short days a lot and that means I can go get the kids if I want to. It means not as big of a check since we never work 40 hours a week, but it means I'll have more time to help Matt and spend it with my family. Plus Garrett won't have to go to an after school program very much at all, and that makes me happy. So, while it's hard and I'm tired, I think it's a good fit for us. But, yes, I miss my kids when I'm at work, I miss their sweet faces and their hugs and kisses and Payton's funny little quirks, but maybe I enjoy all those things a little bit more now since I don't get to see it all day anymore.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment