Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Kidney Stone

On Thursday night, I had put the kids to bed and Matt & I were watching tv, and I got this horrible lower back pain. It was a little after 8, and by 8:30, I was laying on our bedroom floor. Matt told me I needed to go to the ER or he was calling 911. I decided to drive to the Physician's Center, since it's SO close to our house. Turns out I was in the process of passing a kidney stone! This was my second one, so we kind of suspected as much, the Dr just confirmed it. The funny thing is, The ER was SO small! I think there was only one actual exam room, my bed was in the hall. I kidded about it, but I actually preferred it, at least I was right next to the nurses station and had someone to chat with. They gave me fluids, and did a CT scan. The Dr said it appeared to be stuck and that I was having trouble peeing (I had noticed this), so he sent me home and had me follow up with a Urologist on Friday. In all, I was in the ER for less then 3 hours, I'd highly recommend that ER for anyone needing anything not too serious, they do not handle any trauma, no strokes, heart attacks, kids or pregnant women (I found that out last year), but for kidney stones, pulled muscles, sports injuries, pneumonia, etc, they are great!

The urologist looked at the scan and said it was a decent size stone, and if I didn't pass it within a week, they would look at other options, blasting it, or surgery if it really wasn't moving. The funny thing was, on Friday I had almost no pain, the Dr said this is perfectly normal, the pain normally comes and goes. Well, Saturday morning, I passed the stone. So, no surgery, no x-ray, no more Dr's visit. I believe that was pretty fast for passing a stone, but I honestly have no idea!

The Dr feels it's from my lack of Calcium, so I will be taking a calcium supplement to try and prevent this in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment