Since the first day of school, Garrett has found it hard to behave. I don't mean that he's malicious or mean, or even rude, the poor kid just can't seem to keep his hands to himself, his mouth closed or his butt in a chair. I've spoken with his teacher multiple times, all at my request. The 3rd time we talked, she gently suggested we talk to his pediatrician and the dreaded initials were spoken, ADHD. I talked to a few people and as best I can tell, he's still a bit to young to test, he has to be 6, but I'm hoping at our meeting with the Dr that we can talk about options. Neither Matt not I are thrilled with putting him on meds, I am hoping first to try adjusting his diet in some way. Unfortunately, the first 2 appointments have been rescheduled. I'm now set to meet with Dr. Schamms on Dec. 20.
It's hard to explain exactly what his behavior is like. Like I said he's not mean, he's just unable to control himself, that's the best example I can give. He'll get in trouble, the teacher will correct him, he'll do it again, she'll correct him, he'll do it again, he'll sit in time out and then do it again, where he'll lose a major privilege, one example was he had to stay in her eyesight for an entire recess. She realizes he has to run so sitting by her side would not help, but he could only go to certain points on the playground and come back and had to play by himself. It's hard for me because he gets in trouble at school, then come home and loses privileges at home. I'd start to hate school too if my life was like that!! If it's a chemical imbalance and he really just can't control himself then I truly feel bad. If he's just being a boy and needs to be disciplined, then alright, I can live with that too.
we've taken away prized toys, sent him to bed early, taken away tv time, tried rewarding him for good behavior, setting a goal to receive a toy for good behavior. The best he's done i s go 4 days straight receiving a sticker in school, usually it's 2 days. This past week, he didn't get a sticker even one day. Mrs. Sowell is amazing and I love her as his teacher. I think it was a good match, she's firm but gives him the hugs he needs to. She has reassured me he's doing great academically and that's not even a concern for one second. But, if he doesn't start figuring out how to sit still he's not going to be able to participate in reading groups or other thing, so I'm hoping we can resolve these issues before he does end up falling behind.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment