Monday, September 24, 2012

Soccer

Garrett decided he wanted to play soccer, so I asked around and somehow got hooked up with College Station Soccer Association.  The nice thing is his games are at Veteran's park, which is about 2 minutes from the house, the bad thing is his practices are at Southwood Community Park, about 2 minutes from work.  So, every other Thursday, I fly out of work, drive across town to get both kids only to drive about 2 minutes from where I work.  But, that's what it's all about when you have kids, right?!?!  Yes, next year I will sign him up for a Bryan league, mainly because no one from his school is playing in the CS league, I hadn't thought about that!

He really seems to like it though.  I'm not sure he 100% understood what a soccer game was, but his first practice was Thursday and after about 10 seconds of being shy, he was off and running and had quickly made friends (PS - I'm so glad my kids aren't too shy!).  Practice was pretty uneventful, keeping Payton off the practice field was a bit rough, but she had fun just running around and Garrett definitely learned some new "skills". 

His first game was Saturday, the uniforms didn't come in until Saturday morning, so we had to go early to get him changed, and it was HOT.  I ended up getting sunburned watching, Payton was melting down, so her and Matt left at half time.  The kids playing had fun, but went through so much water, a mom had to run and buy the team more!  The good thing is they only play for about 5 minutes at a time, then every 15 minute they get a bit of a team break, add in the shoe lace and  "injury" timeouts and they rest a lot, lol!  They do not keep score, but I'm pretty sure the final score was 5-4 in favor of Garrett's team.  The kids really seemed to have fun, some of them got better as the game went on.  Only one of our players has played before so it's a pretty inexperienced team. 

It's a bit lower key the tee ball, only one practice a week and one game a week and the season lasts 6 weeks, I believe.  I'm just glad Garrett is trying something new and if he enjoys it, then that's all the really matters!

No comments:

Post a Comment