Thursday, March 10, 2011

Lent

For those of you that don't know, yes, I am Catholic. I was married in a Catholic church and both of my children have been baptized, but, yes, I attend Inneract at a Baptist church and Garrett goes to Cubbies at the same Baptist church and both kids will most likely attend MDO and Preschool there next year. That being said, I am still Catholic and try to stay true to my religion. More of our friends are Baptist and so we seem to be attending more and more things at Central Baptist, or at least I do, Matt doesn't really like Central, he feels too many people go there because it's "the" place to go and not for the right reasons.

But, I digress, yesterday was Ash Wednesday, the beginning of lent, which ends on Easter Sunday. Catholics do not eat any beef, chicken or turkey on Ash Wednesday or Friday's during lent, we also do not snack on those days, to remember the sacrifice that God made for us. We also usually give something up. This always seemed hard for me, I don't have any true "bad" habits, I don't smoke or drink soda, or any caffeine for that matter, I'm not a huge sweets eater. I'm kind of boring in that way. I remember my mom saying the whole point is to try and better yourself, or make a sacrifice for God.

It took my a while, but this morning, as I was playing with the kids, I decided to do a journal, and everyday I am going to jot down 3 things I am thankful for. Why 3? I felt one was just too easy, the sunshine, my kids, my health, etc. 2 seemed a bit harder, but 3 seemed like I'd really have to think and that's kind of the point. So, starting today, I am doing a journal on the things I am thankful for. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment