Wednesday, May 15, 2013

GT Expo

I don't remember if I posted anything about Garrett being chosen for the gifted and talented program or not.  It was right before Spring Break, I believe, his teacher approached me and said she thought he should be tested, we decided it wouldn't hurt anything and he was accepted!  The crazy thing is, most ADHD kids have a learning disability too, so this was a surprise to me.  Basically, the GT kids thing outside the box, it doesn't mean they are exceptionally smart, most of them are not geniuses, but they arrive at the answer differently then other people do.  It also means more time doing things he considers fun.  The Kindergarten class has 7 kids that tested into the program, I believe it was 7, and they each had to spend time researching an animal, Garrett choose a Cheetah, they were allowed extra library time, and computer time and art time.  They had to research their animal and answer certain questions about it, make a poster, then make a clay animal, they also had to do a presentation in front of their classmates and then Tuesday night, Bowen had an Expo where all the GT kids had their projects on display.  I was amazed at how well Garrett did!!  He wasn't the best artist, Rijo definitely wins that category, but Garrett made an antelope that was laying on the ground and a cheetah running towards it, he was the only one who thought to have his predator and prey on display.  He knew every fact there was to know about the Cheetah, but he also learned so much from all the other kids.  I'm telling you, this was right up his alley.  He had a blast telling everyone about his animal and at one point was answering peoples questions about the girls project next to his because she had gone to the bathroom, lol!  Needless to say, Matt and I were very proud of him!

No comments:

Post a Comment