Friday, July 6, 2012

School

Well, it's official, I'm back to school!!  I had my first "class" last night.  I decided to go ahead and enroll at Kaplan.  I won't be able to get my degree from there and be an RD, but I can go there for a year and get my GPA up and finish researching which schools I want to go to, and I can apply in the spring and transfer in the fall, I should only have about 1 year at whatever school I go to, so this seems like the best choice.  I did lose a lot of core classes, my maths and sciences because I've been out of school for so long, but because all my electives transferred in, it still means I'll have about 2 years to go to get my bachelors, then I'll do an internship and my masters or my masters and then my internship, I haven't worked all those details out yet.  I'm very excited, but also very nervous.  I haven't been a student in well over 10 years and I've never done online classes so this is very new to me.  I'll take 2 classes every 10 weeks, with one week off, so I'll do 4 terms a year, at Kaplan, it may be different when I transfer.

The format at Kaplan is you have one seminar time a week, where you log into a virtual classroom and have a lecture for one hour.  Then you have one discussion post that has to be done by Saturday, and then you have to reply to 2 students discussion posts by Tuesday, the end of the week is Tuesday at midnight.  There are also some quizzes, some projects and some exams.  All the quizzes and exams are open book.  The discussion posts have to be about 100-150 words and include references, so you have to do research on the topic, not just bs your way through it.  One of my classes has a book and part of our assignments are reading, but the other class does not.

I'm taking Intro to Health Science, this is where I will research my degree choice and really see if it's a fit for me, how much will I make as an RD, what classes do I need to take, etc.  I wasn't sure what this entailed but now I think I'll enjoy it, I think it will help clear up some questions and help me decide where I want to focus my electives on, I"m thinking pediatric, but we'll see.  The second class is Food Safety, I'm pretty sure I'll be scared to ever eat out again or even at any ones house, but it's a required class for me, so I have to take it, lol!

I talked to Garrett about it a bit and I think he gets the general idea, that sometimes Momma will have to be on the computer and he and Payton will have to play by themselves, but both of my seminar times are at night and Matt should be home for those times.  My goal is to get my homework done while they are at school, that's why this job has turned out to be the perfect fit.

So, wish my luck there's no turning back now!!


No comments:

Post a Comment